Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Speechless

I've read lots of great posts lately about educating and advocating. I just can't figure out how to do that when I'm speechless. Today at a work luncheon, small pieces of toffee were passed around for us to sample as a potential client gift. I had one that measured maybe 1/2 an inch, and the lady across the table from me looks at me and says very loudly...."You can't eat that!". She then proceeds to tell everyone at the table "She is diabetic!" Then she turns to me again with a scowl on her face and says "You're cheating!!!" No, she wasn't joking. All I could manage to get out was "I take insulin so I can eat. Here's my pump (pointing)". I knew that anything I could say would be useless in convincing this lady of anything. One of my co-workers nodded and shot me a look of understanding and encouragement, and I frankly think the rest of them were as dumbstruck as I was. So perhaps staying silent was the best thing I could have done so that her rudeness could just echo in the conference room without interference. I have the urge to send her some educational material about diabetes, or perhaps an excerpt from a few of the wonderful "6 things" posts that you guys have written, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

4 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

wow... It sounds like she has some serious personal issues she's not dealing with very well. nutcase!

amylia said...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that kind of disrespect and foolishness. I hope she is the one who felt embarrassed, but jackasses like that rarely do.

And oh, the audacity! I can't believe the nerve people have--and the ignorance. Even if everything she falsely thinks were correct, she still has no business doing that to anyone--and in a meeting? Wow. People amaze me.

Anonymous said...

That's about the time I chime in with, "You're right. I can't eat that. Just like you can't have a smart thought in your head. How's the stupidity treating you lately?" But, I see how that might not be work-appropriate. Glad you had understanding co-workers!

diabetes type 2 said...

very disrespectful, i hope people learn to think first before they speak. they don't know what you are going through and she is so mean.